Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Plica Syndrom and 2,000 Calories

Many of you have read about how my knee has been bothering me and that I decided to take some time off so that if there was something wrong with my knee, then I could let it rest. Since I was a dummy and decided to run 3 half marathons in less than 3 months, you can imagine how much training I did at that time. Well, it is a good thing that I did that, because last week I asked my brother who is an orthopedic surgeon (and very highly respected because he is good at his job) to look at my knee. He is not a big fan on doing any type of surgery on family, but I just wanted him to feel my knee where it hurt and see if it felt any different than the other knee.

Want to know what I found out....?

I have something called "Plica Syndrome of the Knee". When my brother tells me this, I looked at him funny as though to say, "Human talk please, no doctor talk on me!". haha He told me it was not a fracture or a torn liagament, but that it was similar to a stress fracture.

Do you see on the picture of the guy above where the knee bone is and then where it is red. That is where the Plica Syndrome is most prominent. According to about.com it states,  

"The plica on the inner side of the knee, called the "medial plica," is the synovial tissue most prone to irritation and injury. When the knee is bent, the plica is exposed to direct injury, and it may also be injured in overuse syndromes. When the plica becomes irritated and inflamed, the condition called "plica syndrome" results.

So basically, I overused my knee and worked it too hard. I thought it might be runner's knee, but my brother said it was Plica. He told me all I could do was rest and do some other type of training and take my running very easy. So, now my time may be slower, but I am still out there running and keeping myself in shape.
*****************************************
Speaking of staying in shape, my husband and I both are going to be starting a new diet. We are going to be doing a 2,000 or lower calorie diet. This morning was my first day and it has been interesting. I searched the internet yesterday for all kinds of meal plans that I could use for this diet.


Breakfast: 1/2 C. blueberries, strawberries and seedless grapes. Also I had 2 pieces of white toast  (ran out of wheat toast or I would have had that).


Calories: 254

Lunch: Green salad with sliced cucumber, turkey and fat free italian salad dressing. Sorry no picture.

Calories: Around 598

Snack: 1/2 C. cucumbers and 1/2 C. grapes
Calories: 118

Lots of water. 

Haven't had dinner yet, but will have a picture for that shortly. We are excited to be doing this and getting our metabolism up and running better and just eating healthier then we normally do.

*******************************************
Going to run around 3 miles today, maybe more or less. I biked 7 miles yesterday and it felt great!! There was a very strong head wind and it was so tough peddling against it, but it only made me work harder to finish. I also did 2 sets of 5 hills. That was tough, but felt great!  Hopefully I will get a chance to swim tomorrow. I haven't gotten to swim all week!

Question: Have you ever tried a 2,000 calorie diet?
I am just not trying it out, so hopefully we will keep up with it.

5 comments:

Morgan said...

I use SparkPeople to guide/track my caloric intake. I eat between 1,200 -1,550 calories a day, but I am also actively in the process of losing weight. I've been doing that off and on for two years. :)

Kayla said...

I have never heard of that site before. Thanks Morgan. I am starting to try and loose some weight too. I have a weight I would like to be at and I am pretty close, but I also just want to eat healthier too. I am going to try and start at 2,000 and work my way down hopefully. :0)

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

When I was trying to lose weight I would do my best to stick to eating under 2,000 calories every day. Good luck!

Kayla said...

Thanks Vanessa!!! Were you successful with loosing weight eating only 2,000?

Heather said...

sorry to hear about your knee. Knee injuries suck! Are you and karen doing the calorie counting thing together? I saw she blogged a few days ago that she has been doing it for a couple weeks.